Thursday, December 16, 2010

What is Success?



We all have our own definitions of it, but here is Merriam-Webster's:

"the fact of getting or achieving wealth, respect, or fame"

Really? I don't remember Jesus achieving that status. Not only was He not wealthy, but the fact that He was spat upon and hung on a cross made Him successfully complete the mission that He came to earth for- the reason that He was a baby in a manger in the first place.

He may have been famous, but it wasn't because He was rich.

He may have been respected, but not by everyone- that's for sure!

He may have been wealthy spiritually, but the Bible never mentions Him having a stash of money.

This past fall I began my own little business in lieu of going to college right away, and I'm loving it. I started with a goal, which was to make a certain amout of money in one month. I knew it might take me a couple of months to get to that point, but I was willing to take the time to get there.

I made almost twice my goal in my very first month. (Believe me, I'm not saying that to brag. All glory goes to God because He's the One who did it!)

"Now what?" I keep asking myself. "What am I living for now?"

Wait a minute...what am I living for now?

What was I living for then?

Money is great, but if we only live to make more of it, even with good intentions for what we'll use it for, what's the point?

Jesus said, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

That's our ultimate goal. Even if we achieve success by everyone else's standards, Jesus is the One whose applause we need to live for.

"When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth." Matthew 19:22

Don't go away from this blog all depressed like the foolish young man. He was living for wealth, which will only fade away, but we have the excitement of knowing that the greatest joy comes from spending ourselves for the sake of Christ.

No comments: