Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mary vs. Martha



I think a lot of people have the wrong idea when it comes to the (true!) story of Mary and Martha. For quite a long time, I did, too-perhaps because of this little episode:


Several years ago, Lauren and I were selected to help teach a children's church
lesson to a group of elementary students. It was our job to act out a
little skit about Mary and Martha. Of course, we took it quite seriously.
Lauren came over the night before, and spent the night. Among our usual
activities (actually, I don't remember exactly what we did, but it most likely
included these things), like making elaborate crafts, chatting,
and sharing top-secret secrets, we managed to fit in a little time to
rehearse our skit. In fact, I can still recall sitting on my bed and
handing my hairbrush (a.k.a. microphone) back and forth. Also, I believe
our rehearsals involved a lot of laughter. I wonder why?

However, the next morning, the laughter turned to
fear. Nervously, we donned our rather humiliating Mary and Martha
costumes (which were large pieces of fabric to serve as head
scarves). When we stood up there in front of 20-s0me bored, glazy-eyed
children, and realized that the mic was now indeed very real, and no
longer simply a hairbrush, we rather frightened.

But we managed to say our lines with only a couple stutters. Then
it was over. I believe we had chicken for lunch that afternoon.

And Mary and Martha? Well, all I knew was that Martha was the grump, and Mary was lazy. That was about it.

Now, however, the story of Mary and Martha is one of my favorites in the Bible. Oddly, we seem to put quite a lot of blame on Martha for not seeking Jesus like her sister Mary did. But, between these two women, aren't we more often a lot like Martha?

Unlike other's opinions, I don't think Martha was trying to ignore her beloved Teacher. In fact, she was doing her best to serve Him.

On other hand, Mary was not a shirk. If you are really serving Him, you do not make the work harder for those around you. But, unlike her sister, Mary knew what was important.

We get so busy serving God, that we forget what is truly most important. If we want real power with God and man, we must stop fretting.

"Martha, Martha," Jesus gently told the tired woman, "you are worried and upset about many things. Only one thing is important. Mary has choosen the better thing, and it will never be taken away from her." (Luke 10)

What is most important is to come to the feet of Jesus, to listen to Him, to drink in His fullness, to learn of His abounding grace.

No comments: