Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I'm Expecting...



(and it's most definetly not what you're thinking! =D)


When it comes to prayer, I think a lot of us, (myself included), ask often, but don't really expect the so-called "answer". Why is that? It seems to me our prayers are often stuck in this rut of, asking but not expecting.


This morning I woke up not feeling very well. I was heading off to babysit, so it wasn't really a great situation. There in the early morning light I was praying a half-hearted, sleepy prayer. "Jesus, I ask that you give me strength for the day." It was a prayer with little room for God to intervene. Just give me that strength, okay? I fumbled out of my room, swallowed some breakfast, brushed my teeth, and found myself driving away.


My neck was still stiff, and my head was still pounding, and my eyes were still a bit groggy. Halfway to the destination, I realized I just couldn't spend seven hours with two little boys feeling like this.


And, I suddenly realized that Jesus could take away the aches and stiffness, the tired, dreary feeling I had. So, I asked Him. And you know what? I had hardly finished my (specific, expecting!) prayer, when my weary feelings (headache, ect.) were instantly (and I mean instantly) gone! It was amazing, and I was just so filled with His awesome wonder and might. Babysitting for the day went splendidly, too.


This has been such a lesson for me, and I hope it can send you thinking, too. Honestly, I feel foolish for all the times I've prayed prayers that have such "loose ends" that don't give our Lord room to provide in His amazing ways. Let's start expecting!

No comments: