Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Lost" Keys


I'm always paranoid about losing my keys.

I suppose it's not so much about losing the keys as much as it is the fact that I wouldn't be able to go anywhere without them. Still, no matter how many times paranoia strikes, I always find them nestled safely in my purse and drive off into the sunset.

That is, until the other day.

I was already running late getting from one lesson to another, and I couldn't find them anywhere. I had just said my good-byes and gotten ready to leave, but after rummaging through my very small purse and even going to such lengths as pulling everything out, I still couldn't them. Great, I thought, about to walk back up the driveway.

Suddenly, before I even looked inside my hand, I realized where they were.

I had been holding them the whole time.

After slapping myself in the forehead, I drove away.

Do you ever have questions? It's very rare that I don't have some sort of question on my mind. Often I'll find myself asking God, "Why?" or "When?" or "What?" or "Where?" I'm not really expecting an answer because I've convinced myself that He wants me to fend for myself, but it feels good to just ask Him.

Here's a question: Why would He want us to fend for ourselves? Why in the world would He have come into the world to reconnect us to Himself if all He intended to do was leave us alone again?

When I really think about it, even with all of the many questions that I find myself asking God, all I really want to know is, "What should I do now?"

Well, what if I told you that asking God such a question and not expecting an answer is like searching for the keys that you're holding in your hand? He is very much within your reach- His voice, His word, His power and all that He has for you (which is everything that you could possibly need)- all that you need to do is open your hand.

"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." Matthew 16:19

Please believe me when I say that I wrote this post as much for myself as I did for you. Let's open our hands together, okay?

No comments: