Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dwell on These Things


As one of my favorite singers often remarks, "Most of your life goes on behind your eyes."

While some people struggle with outward addictions, my mind is what gets me in trouble. And lately my mind has been taking in everything around me the way my lungs take in air. It's almost as if I can't help meditating upon the circumstances and misfortunes of the world, and it's entirely overwhelming.

It wasn't until yesterday that I actually listened to Jesus, who had been attempting to remind me that I have a choice when it comes to what I think about. I had been stuck on Philippians 4 for days, reading verse 8 over and over every day and still not letting it penetrate my heart.

"Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise—dwell on these things."

"What would happen," Jesus asked me, "if you actually did this? What if you intentionally replaced every negative, depressing thought that's in your head right now with something true and honorable and just and pure and lovely and commendable?"

Sulking in my little corner, I said, "Yeah, sure, that's easy for You to say. What should I replace it with?"

"What about, 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.'?"

That was when I realized that He has given us an entire book of truth- a book of promises, of life, of joy, and of peace- to dwell upon. He knows that we must constantly be meditating upon something because it's how we were created. And He also knows that the world is continually bombarding us with things that are the exact opposite of everything in Philippians 4:8. He Himself was tempted by satan in the wilderness for forty days. The only thing that He could do was speak the word- the truth- and, because He did, the enemy, the darkness, the negativity and the depression were all forced to flee.

I can't possibly know what you're going through right now, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that there is still an overflowing, abundant, neverending supply of joy and peace and rest and love waiting just for you. All the enemy can do is try to start a battle in your mind. And all you need to do is fight him with truth. Because of the grace of God, you don't even need any strength of your own to do it:

"Behold, I will lay upon [them] health and healing, and I will cure them and will reveal to them the abundance of peace, prosperity, security, stability, and truth." Jeremiah 33:6 

No comments: