Thursday, July 21, 2011

What is the Will of God?


Who hasn't asked this question? I find that it's the most common question asked when a situation arises that is difficult to understand. Many people assume that God's will always just "happens," and we need to rest in that.

I stopped at our house this afternoon for a half hour, and while I was walking through the garage, an inch-long, flesh-colored mass the width of my index finger caught my eye. Thinking it was an earthworm, I moved closer and caught my breath when I realized that it was an abandoned newborn mouse. Its eyes were still closed, but its microscopic whiskers and equally tiny fingers, toes and tail were all perfectly formed. It was writhing back and forth, rolling on our garage floor.

I had never seen a mammal so small in my life, and I immediately called a friend who knows a lot about taking care of animals, who said that it would die without its mother.

Deciding that I had to move it so that it at least wouldn't get run over, I used two pieces of cardboard to pick it up and move it underneath a bush. It screamed with all of the strength it could muster, but the sound was barely audible. I watched its heart pump violently as it continued to roll back and forth, wondering why it had been so cruelly abandoned by the one who was made to care for it.

On my way home later this afternoon, the concept of abortion was laying heavily upon my heart. The baby mouse was the size of an unborn child at two months of conception, who would also have a heart pulsing blood through its perfectly designed circulatory system. Except the unborn child would have ninety years of beautiful life ahead- a life that he or she would never have a chance to live.

As I pulled into the black gates of Planned Parenthood to think and pray, I realized that the will of God doesn't always happen. He doesn't want 3,500 perfectly fashioned, precious lives to be abruptly ended every single day anymore than He desires for an innocent little mouse to die for no reason. These things are the consequences of abiding in a sin-filled, dark world, and we certainly shouldn't blame Him for them.

Maybe instead of asking God what His will is, we ought to be asking Him how we can help make it actually come to pass.  

No comments: