Monday, December 5, 2011

The Journey


A few months ago I had the opportunity to spend a day at a dude ranch in the middle of nowhere in Arkansas. While I could share the graphic details of my bout with dehydration or complain about how many phone calls and text messages I got about work-related things while I stood on the side of the mountain, I will spare you.

It was a great day.

The sun was shining, the temperature was in the high seventies, and the mountain breeze was calmly rustling the changing leaves. My dad and my brother spent the day climbing, and I was their part-time photographer, (or, as Levi called me, the "Photawg Dawg,") but I also got to explore to my heart's content.

When I reached the ladder in the picture above, I almost decided to head back to the guys and make that the end of my journey. But something about it called me upward, so I climbed it.

The journey nearly came to a halt a second time when I reached a spot where I had a lovely view of the canyon and almost decided that I didn't need to climb higher. After all, I could see pretty well.

What changed my mind was the fact that I was almost to the top. Glancing upward, I finally decided to hike to the very highest point (which was also the hardest to get to) and that was when I took this photo:


While I was walking back down, thought about how much each step of my climb resembled our Christian walk. Sometimes we get so easily satisfied with mediocrity. "Well, I'm a Christian, and that's that!" We (myself included) don't pursue our Father. We settle for just carrying His name.

Then there are those of us who take the first few steps, but never enter into the intimacy of His presence. Maybe we're not cold, but there's certainly a difference between lukewarm and hot.

But, oh, when we make the decision to follow Jesus all of the way to Himself! When we lay aside everything that entangles us and make the journey to His arms, there is such peace and joy to be found.

There was a lovely view from the ground beneath that metal ladder, but it was only a glimpse of what could be discovered when you went the extra mile.

Onward and upward!

No comments: