Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Overwhelmed


I'm taking an 1,150 mile road trip in one month and six days. I won't be back until the end of the summer.

My older brother is moving to Georgia in two days.

My sister and her husband are moving to Indiana in two days.

My little brother just GOT A JOB. (Isn't he still twelve?)

I have a thousand little things running through my head all at once, all vying for my energy and attention. And they've got it.

A few weeks ago I started a new kind of journal. In it, I tell Jesus exactly what I'm thinking- the honest, no extra adjectives, sometimes grammatically incorrect, truth. And today all I could think to write was a paragraph stating the above. When I closed the book and stood up from my desk, Jesus gently whispered to my heart:

"Well, there's your problem!" 


"What do you mean, Jesus?" I ask sweetly, "Do you mean that if I spend sixteen hours a day thinking about everything I have to be concerned about and everything that I need to get done and give You a total of three minutes in the afternoon that I just might get a little bit overwhelmed? Of course You couldn't mean that." 


But He does. And that is my problem. If I spent the majority of my time sitting on the couch watching Masterpiece Theater and eating potato chips and then did ten minutes of cardio each afternoon, the likelihood that my exercise would get me to a place of ideal physical fitness is pretty much nonexistent.

And that is the lesson I learned today.

No comments: