Saturday, June 9, 2012

Childlike Anticipation


A couple days ago I was making brownies with a little four year old friend of mine. I must say it was rather sweet to watch his enthusiasm. Begging with delight he said, "can I crack the eggs?" "Can I stir?" "Can I try a chocolate chip?" When we finally poured the batter into pan and popped it into the oven, he could hardly wait for those 30 minutes to be up to taste his creation. We'd play with his toys for a little while, then with bright, wide eyes, he would say, "HEY! Maybe the brownies are done!" He'd trot to the oven and ask me to turn on the oven light to check. Not yet.

Thirty minutes is a long wait for a little boy. "How many more minutes now?" he'd ask. "Ten minutes." He'd wait about twenty seconds and then say, "how about now?" Soon enough, however, the timer beeped and there was a cheer--the brownies were ready! He was not in the least disappointed. "Mmm, yum! These are good!" I heard him say through a mouthful of crumbs.

Ever since that fun little baking session, I have thought a lot about the childlike anticipation we are meant to have through Christ. Allowing Jesus to shape a childlike expectation in our life is a beautiful thing. While I once awoke each morn wishing I had more time to sleep, I now often find myself filled with a joyful adoration for Jesus. Just think, we can give our first words in praise to Him! It is not because I have a perfect life or something like that, but instead because I know with all my heart that our King is the Way, and with a childlike anticipation, I can declare:

"Jesus, what do you have in store today?"
"Hey! Maybe I can serve this way!" 
"Look how God painted the sunset tonight!"
"What can I learn from the Lord today?" 

What is that makes your heartbeat quicken, your hands tingle, your feet itch? Contrary to what I've often thought, these things shouldn't necessarily be meant for "someday, later." Those callings and gifts can be cultivated right now by seeking Jesus, and knowing that He delights in our childlike anticipation.



"My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him." Psalm 62:5

3 comments:

MixedMolly said...

Great insight! I needed to read this today :) If we could cultivate that in our lives we really would be more joyful, wouldn't we?

Unknown said...

Oh, this is so sweet! I love this story... thank you.

Unknown said...

beautiful post. <3

Newest follower.

xoxo
-b