Saturday, October 6, 2012

Enough for Today


"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:34

I'm a planner. I'm such a planner that I plan to make plans for my plans. Two and a half years ago, Jesus said, "Would you be willing to give up your plans to follow Me?"

"Follow Me." He said it so many times in the Gospels, yet somehow I had come to the conclusion that following Him would involve a five year (or maybe, if I was lucky, a ten year) plan that He would clearly reveal as soon as I grabbed a pen and piece of paper and said, "Whenever You're ready!"

Last week I had a chance to share the testimony of where God has brought me over these two and a half years in front of a congregation of nearly 200 people. It struck me as funny how I could say, "It was all so worth it!" then, knowing full well that at the start of those two and a half years I was about as eager to move ahead without plans as a cow is who is on his way to be slaughtered.

You see, what happened when I let go of my plans and grabbed onto Jesus was nothing short of a perfectly scripted, unimaginable, challenging, fulfilling journey that is just getting started. It's been two steps of obedience forward, one step of disobedience back, but He's been so incredibly good and so wonderfully patient.

Then, last night, I had a chance to share with someone else about where Jesus has brought me, and I was reminded yet again of how faithful He's been to lead the way. Every single moment of it. It's been beautiful, not because of me, but because of His goodness and the way that He's fulfilled His promises to be my Guide and Shepherd.

What about tomorrow? What about the decisions we have to make every day? What about the times when God is "silent?" What if I'm not where I'm supposed to be? What if I'm doing something wrong?

"Do you trust Me?"

It's what He always whispers to me when the questions start coming. Do you really believe that He's going to be faithful to show you the way? Then let your soul be at rest and let tomorrow worry about itself.


No comments: