Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Are you an Adult?

That's what a wide-eyed, sixth grader asked me a few weeks ago during youth group.



"Well..." I faltered, "I'll be turning 18 in a few days."


My long-time, seventh grade friend and neighbor chimed in. "And she has her driver's license, and soon she can vote!"


I don't think these things make me an adult. But far too often, Christians make worldly pursuits more important than they actually are. Maybe you've got a job, a car, a nice cellphone or your own credit card.


Perhaps these achievements make you feel more like an adult. But do they bring us closer to Christ? They do not, in any way.


Jesus doesn't encourage us to get caught up in the news, our business, or our pastimes. In fact, He pointed out children!


Yes, we should be mature--but having a credit card doesn't make us mature.


But having childlike faith! That's what will bring us closer to Christ. Not all our accomplishments--Jesus isn't concerned about those. Instead, He wants your heart and your faith.



Truly, I say to you, unless you become like children, you will never enter
the kingdom of Heaven. Matthew 18:3

No comments: