Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pick up that Pitcher!



Pour.
That's been a word on my mind quite a lot this month.
Mainly because of these two verses:

If you pour yourself out to the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places. Isaiah 58:10-11


Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him, God is a refuge for us. Psalm 62:8
Upon each circumstance we face each day, I have realized Jesus is giving us the chance to pour ourselves out.
And, as I have begun to (slowly) understand, and practice the act of pouring myself out-to others and to Jesus-I have found that Jesus does indeed fulfill His promise. When we pour out our hearts, we are indeed given light, far greater light than we'll ever get if refuse to pour.
Elisabeth Elliot says (and so fittingly),
Isaiah 58:10-11-Here, I think, lies the answer to the barrenness of a single life, or a life that might otherwise be selfish of lonely. It is the answer, I have found, to depression as well. You yourself will be given light in exchange for pouring yourself out, you yourself will get guidance, the satisfaction of your longings, and strength when you pour yourself out, when you make the satisfaction of somebody Else's desires your concern.
If we all begin to pour, instead giving a little drop here and there, I really think that our gloom would rise high as the noonday. And who doesn't want that?



No comments: