Sunday, January 23, 2011

Conventionality Isn't in the Bible....I Checked


One day my mother and I were driving down the road, and I starting thinking out loud.

"I always feel older than everyone my age. I fit in better with older people. Maybe it's because God is in me, and He has no age, and if I let Him live through me like He wants to, then....yeah."

(This is usually what happens when Lauren thinks out loud.)

Really, though, when you think about it, if we're allowing Jesus to live through us, then it is only our bodies that have an age. If you don't believe me, I had an experience last night to prove it.

I was sitting at an out-of-tune upright with a broken key singing show tunes when Jesus whispered, I want you to pray for Janet before you leave tonight.

(If you don't remember Janet and "Danny Boy," read this: http://walkinhislight.blogspot.com/2010/11/oh-to-be-used-for-his-glory.html)

I have never prayed with anyone at an assisted living facility, and the thought sort of scared me, but I knew that He would give me the courage if it was really what He wanted.

When I had finished perfoming, I greeted each of the precious people who had just spent an hour with me. Janet, who actually remembered me this time, quickly gave me a hug before she had to leave to help one of the older residents to her room.

Well, then, it must not've been God! I thought a little too happily.

Meanwhile, Leona, one of the sweetest, kindest ladies I've met, gave me $5. "I wanted to give you ten, but only had fives and twenties," she smiled honestly.

Janet came back, and we started chatting. Everyone else had gone to their rooms, and the lights were dim. We talked like old friends, and I discovered that her brother has won three Tony awards and been nominated for seven others for directing shows on Broadway. I also found out that the beautiful facility where Leona and Janet live is all a show- the director is awful and has been causing problems for everyone. Both of them were very troubled. There was a pause- this was my chance.

"Do you two mind if I pray with you?"

They agreed that they would love to, and we all sat on the couch and joined hands. I prayed a quick, honest prayer, not wanting to be over-the-top or flowery. I asked God for wisdom and guidance and peace for the wonderful ladies that I had been blessed to spend the evening with.

The moment I said "Amen" we were all in each other's arms. "I love you!" Leona cried. "This is what we need more of."

There was no gap between our ages- I wasn't eighteen and they weren't eighty- we were sisters in Christ, and He had filled me with His beautiful love for them until I was overflowing with it. "I love you, too," I smiled as I held her close.

So often we're caught up in conventionality. "This is the way things are, and that's how I want it to stay." But Jesus isn't conventional- if we're willing to listen to His gentle prompting, beautiful things can happen. All we need to do is say, "Yes, I'll do this, even if it makes me uncomfortable or seems strange. You know best."

And He always does.

No comments: