Saturday, January 22, 2011

Enough Grace to Be a Fake Mom


Ridiculous. That was the word that popped into my head as I looked at my schedule at the beginning of the week. There's no way I'm going to make it with my head on straight!

Ask Me for grace, He whispered.

So I did.

I was a full-time nanny for four days this week. Here's what my day looked like on Thursday.

-Got up at six (that might be normal for you, but it's not for me...)
-Took S. and K. to school
-Took M. to school
-Played the family's piano for almost two hours
-Picked up S.
-Made lunch
-Sold an ad for the program for the play I'm in (I actually sold one on my first and only try and that has never happened)
-Drove half an hour to Portage to play at a memory care facility for an hour
-Picked up K.
-Took K. to piano
-Picked up K. from piano and M. from school
-Played video games with M. for an hour (and didn't fall asleep from boredom!)
-Took M. and S. to piano
-Made dinner
-Picked up M. and S.
-Got gas in the car
-Drove to Plainwell for a play rehearsal
-Drove all of the way back to Mattawan

I'm not telling you all of that to complain, because it was effortless. And I'm not telling you it was effortless to brag, because it had nothing to do with me. It was all about grace.

I went to bed that night, and my head wasn't swimming because of grace.

I watched one of the residents at the memory care facility be wheeled out on a stretcher and was able to calm the other residents down with music because of grace.

I wasn't worried about driving all of that distance in the snow because of grace.

I wasn't exhausted because of grace.

Ask Him for grace right now, and I promise you that there are no situations too rough for Him to smooth out. His enabling grace is so perfect that I can't even describe it too you- you need to experience it for yourself.

"Or do you think Scripture says without reason that He jealously longs for the spirit He has caused to dwell in us? But He gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and He will come near to you." James 4:5-7 

No comments: