Monday, May 2, 2011

Taste





It was a spectacular, crisp, autumn day. The sky was a clear blue, and the sun, despite the later fall months, was faithfully shining through a glorious Indian summer morn. A perfect setting for an adventure, would you not agree?



I thought so. That morning was set aside for exploring my seemingly endless "backyard" through the vineyards, woods and fields. I donned walking shoes while the morning dew still sparkled, and set off. For hours I rambled through the vineyards, finding all sorts of lovely things. The trees were just beginning to turn, too.



But eventually, I began to get tired. The sun was high, and I was hungry, thirsty, and warm. I decided to go just a bit farther; to a little patch of woods, rest, and go home.



What discovery. I when I reached this little patch amongst the trees, there was an ancient apple orchard. It was so old and overgrown that their branches created a low canopy, so low that in places you had to bend over. It was like entering another world, such Narnia or Terabithia.



Being in the hungry state I was, I eagerly reached for one of the bright red apples to taste. Nothing at that moment could have tasted sweeter! It completely satisfied me-the taste, the beauty, the awe of it all, was so blissful.



Isn't Jesus like that? As I pondered that autumn day, I realized He is indeed. It seems so few discover the sweetness and the joy of our King. He is an adventure waiting to be explored, to be discovered, hidden for years, yet within our reach. Jesus is longing for us to find Him, to love, to taste, to trust, and follow Him, is He not? Yes, Jesus waiting.



Please read these beautiful words with this truth in mind:



Among the young the men, my lover is like an apple tree in the woods! I enjoy sitting in his shadow; his fruit is sweet to my taste. He brought me to the banquet room, and his banner over me is love. Song of Songs 2:3-4

No comments: