Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Behind the Clouds


I almost became an accidental storm chaser last night. Intending to take some photos of a nearby valley full of springtime blossoms, I didn't realize that a tornado warning went into effect right after I left.

Whoops.

As dark clouds covered the beams of sunlight that I had hoped to capture with my brother's camera, I wondered if I might be caught in the rain. Instead, I got some rather lovely photos and had a nice conversation with one of my neighbors, who called out to me right before I reached home.

The man can talk about WD-40 for an hour, and Lindsey can attest to the fact that I am not overexaggerating. But I wouldn't trade our mostly one-sided conversations about wind velocity for anything. While we stood and looked out at the black clouds, he talked about how much he would like to be flying over them in his little plane.

"Sometimes it'll be completely overcast," he explained, "but once you break through the clouds, it'll be perfectly clear."

Then he started explaining the reasons for this, but he lost me once he said the words "electric current." Still, his words stuck in my mind.

Each of us only has one perspective. We can't help it. But not only does God understand each of the billions of perspectives that exist on this earth- He has His own.

I've always been cautious when I think about this subject because I've heard so many people try to explain death this way. "We just don't understand the mysterious ways of God," they say. The God that I know doesn't kill innocent people.

However, the Bible specifically says that He "wars" on our behalf and that Jesus is our "intercessor," meaning that it isn't always easy for His heavenly will to come to earth.

If you read Psalm 18, my personal favorite, you'll see the beautiful story of redemption as told by David. And, while it's not easy or quick, it's beautiful beyond words.

You're about to break through the clouds, my friend, and there is perfect clarity on the other side. Clarity that God can already see.

"Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and wondrous things you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3

No comments: