Sunday, June 12, 2011

He Has Found You


A year ago I received a prophecy from a friend. It was very short.

"He has found you."

I remember thinking, "Oh, okay, thanks. Of course He's found me- He's found all of us. I really appreciate that very 'personal' message."

It wasn't until several months later that I understood what she meant.

I was reading through 1 Samuel 13, the part of the story where Samuel tells Saul that He's going to get booted out. He says, "You have been foolish. You have not kept the command which the Lord your God gave you. It was at this time that the Lord would have permanently established your reign over Israel, but now your reign will not endure. The Lord has found a man loyal to Him, and the Lord has appointed him as ruler over His people, because you have not done what the Lord commanded." 

Of course, we think, "He's talking about David. What's so special about that?" It makes perfect sense to those of us who know the story.

There's just one problem: David wasn't a character yet. He doesn't show up for three more chapters.

"The Lord has found a man loyal to Him, and the Lord has appointed him as ruler over His people..."

Immediately, my thoughts went back to the day I had received my simple prophecy: He has found you. She didn't just mean that God had pursued me until He had captured my heart. No, her four words had far more meaning that I could've imagined, and more meaning than I'll be able to imagine until the day that I die.

God has appointed us. We have a destiny that He's already drawn out, a plan that's already formulated, and a story that He's already written. Each of us has been chosen for something extraordinarily beautiful and specific and wonderful, and we won't be able to see the whole picture until it's done- until we're done.

When Samuel spoke those words, David was probably standing in a pasture chasing sheep. He had no clue what God had in store for Him, but God had already chosen Him to become one of the greatest kings who ever lived.

He has found you

No comments: