Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pick up Your Sword...


You never know what lessons God will teach you, using the smallest ways. Today I was walking home from helping in a preschool class. It was a morning filled with songs, blocks, glue, glitter, giggles, and smiles. A day couldn't get much better than that.

As I was walking home, I marveled at God's creation. The sky was a perfect shade of December blue, and the air was crisp and clean. Just one of those days that are meant to be lived, you know?

It was a pleasant walk home, minus one detail. Dogs. Six of them, in fact, found me great for barking at. I did not even know there were six on our part of the street. One little, fluffy sandy-gold dog in particular came dashing through the yard and began yapping at my heals, and he meant business. He seemed to boldly say, Arf! Arf! Not on my yard, lady! Not on my yard!

But each time I turned toward him, or even stopped walking, he actually would jump backyards, cowering and would even start to whimper! I knew right away he was, as they say, all bark and no bite. And pretty pathetic.

While I wish it wasn't true, I am a lot like that annoying, pathetic little dog. I take a bold move, then the enemy strikes back, I instantly cower.

I'll witness to that girl.
She'll think you're strange.
Will she? Oh, well, then maybe there's someone else to do the job.

Sound familiar? I think the key lies in truly donning the armor of God. Far too often, I'm afraid, the Ephesians 6 Armor of God has been watered down by a set of plastic armor toys, or a cardboard sword covered in foil for a Sunday School lesson. But the Armor of God is serious business. When we ask for the shield of faith, He gives it to us. When those flaming darts come towards us we have a shield to guard us and we won't stumble backyards!

If you are feeling like a two-faced fluffy little dog, then I strongly recommend a dose of Ephesians 6: 10-20. I will be first to admit, though, that I have been fearful, shy, worried, selfish, uncaring, and simply pathetic time after time after time. I don't know about you, but this soldier must not hesitate to train. The enemy plays to be strong, but our God is truly mighty. Will you pick up your sword with me?

No comments: