Monday, December 19, 2011

The Secret of Communion


Hello. My name is Lauren, and I am a hopeless romantic.

Hi, Lauren. Welcome to Hopeless Romantics Anonymous. 

I probably should've checked myself into hopeless romantic rehab years ago, but somewhere between being able to devour a four hundred page romance novel in one day to where I am now, the romanticism toned itself down to a far more reasonable level.

Still, I picked up a book at the library several weeks ago called "Completely His," and it rekindled the hopeless romantic inside of me. Sheila Walsh, the author, described communion in a way that I had never encountered before, and I want to share it with you.

Back in Bible days, proposals were always the same- a man offered his wife-to-be of choice a cup of wine, and if she accepted the cup and drank from it, she became his betrothed. Obviously, if she rejected it, he knew that she had also rejected him.

After the woman accepted his proposal, he would immediately begin constructing a new room in his father's home- a room where the marriage would eventually be consummated.

Now, how can anyone with a properly-functioning brain hear that and not call God a hopeless romantic? For when He sent His Son to earth, He not only offered us a cup and said, "Take, drink in remembrance of Me," but He also said, "In My Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with Me, that you also may be where I am." (John 14:2-3)

Hopeless romanticism must run in the family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Knowing the history always brings greater insight. Love it!