Wednesday, October 10, 2012

In Awe of His Glory


Sometimes I think that one of the most beautiful things God can do for us is give us something that we can't take any credit for.

Nearly two and a half years ago, I sat at our kitchen counter and painted a picture of a bird.

This really doesn't sound very magnificent, except for the fact that I'm not a painter. I'm really not. I know absolutely nothing about painting. Before that day, everything that I had ever tried to paint somehow ended up becoming a large, multicolored blob that immediately ended up folded up in the trash so that no one would ever see it.

Well, that day I couldn't help myself. I had this strange desire to paint, and, for some reason, it actually worked. I remember sitting there and hearing Jesus speak the word "feathering" to my heart, not realizing until later that this was actually a legitimate painting technique that I was using at that very moment.

Then, one summer day, I sat outside and tried to paint a tree. It looked awful, and I had just given up when I heard Jesus whisper the word "refraction." For all I knew, refraction had to do with bending light and nothing to do with painting....until I looked up "refraction in landscape painting" and discovered that this, too, was a legitimate technique, and not using it was actually what was causing all of the problems with my pitiful tree.

Needless to say, Jesus had my attention.

So, what might Jesus be wanting to do in your life today? Answer an impossible prayer? Provide an impossible amount? Or simply reveal Himself in a way that He never has before? May He be glorified in all that we do, and when we come to the end of our days may we be able to truly echo the words of Jesus in John 17:4-

"I glorified You on earth, having accomplished the work that You gave me to do."

1 comment:

Monica said...

Wow. That is beautiful.

So happy for you and the new(ish) talent God's given you! Can't wait to see more pieces!