Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Where's the Hope?


This morning I came across a very convicting statement in 1 Peter 3:15-

"...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you."

As I read over the words, I started wondering if that statement even has a place in my life right now. Do others ever see the hope that is in me? Is it even there?

It's a difficult time of year. We're losing daylight, losing our beloved warm weather, getting ready to vote for the next president, stashing away money for Christmas, starting to get bored with the day-to-day routine that began when school started last month, etc., etc., etc. But, no matter what is going on, as Christians it's a part of our job description to always have hope. And it's not just a "when we go to glory someday" kind of hope, it's a now kind of hope. It's a noticeable, out-of-the-ordinary, annoying, incorrigible hope that doesn't fade and goes beyond all reason.

Last night I caught a bit of a radio program where an author was talking about Jesus saving the prostitute by saying, "Whoever is without sin, let him cast the first stone," in John 8. The author was  explaining that, though we may haughtily think otherwise, most Christians today would fit right in with the pharisees, shouting, "Stone her!" heartily as we stick to our religious rituals and think we're better than those caught in sinful lifestyles. Are we really loving people as Jesus did, or are we just expressing our opinions by self-righteously judging those around us and ignoring the planks in our eyes? It sort of tied a knot in the pit of my stomach as I heard what he said and thought about just how wrong I am so much of the time.

More than anything, I desire to stand out in a crowd. Not because of me, but because of Him. And it's not so they see me, but because I want them to see Jesus in all of His splendor. May His hope, His love, and the fullness of who He is resound through the lifestyles that we live. He didn't make us to handle situations the way the rest of the world does by complaining and worrying and meditating on "What if?"s all day long. And yet, how often is that exactly what we're doing?

We may have a long way to go, but that's no reason to wait another minute to grow up and have some hope.

No comments: