Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Entering His Rest


Tonight I was reading through some of my diary entries from last summer. "Jesus keeps telling me to 'rest,'" I said.

Needless to say, some things take lots of time to change.

The other night I was babysitting a little girl who was having trouble going to sleep. She had so many excuses- she was hot, she was hungry, she didn't want to wear her pajamas- and nothing would get her to settle down.

Finally, she curled up in my lap and I rubbed her back gently until she fell asleep. 

As I sat there on her little bed, her body finally beginning to relax, I imagined myself in her position, Jesus, in His usual way, prompting me to rest.

For some reason, I've always assumed that His rest only comes when everything in my life is perfectly right. Once in a great while, when everything is just as it should be, I've felt relaxed in His arms, unafraid and without worry.

But, as you know, there's always something to be worried about.

The little girl who had too many troubles to sleep didn't suddenly say, "Well, those things don't matter anymore. I guess I'll go to sleep now!" No, there were still very real problems in her little world. But she chose to succomb to the rest that she needed, letting it carry her far away from her struggles.

Jesus is always ready to give us rest. Let's not wait a minute longer to take Him up on His beautiful offer of refreshment.

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. How happy is the man who takes refuge in Him!" Psalm 34:8

No comments: