Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Who Are You Calling Mama?


The other day, the little one and a half year old boy I was watching called me "Mama."

I think my heart skipped a beat. Or maybe three beats.

Throughout the rest of the day,whenever he needed or wanted something, or when I just happened to be nearby, he called me "Mommy" or "Mama", with a sweet, slightly mischievous grin of his on his face.

I've always imagined what it must be like for your baby to call you "Mom" for the very first time. Somehow, when it's not your baby, it simply isn't the same. You just give him a funny look and feel a little funny as you fill his bottle, put on his shoes, or help him down the slide. I mean, I'm not his mom!

We give God a lot of different titles, don't we? We call Him faithful, our Abba, our redeemer...the list goes on. But I wonder, if we don't really, truly believe in our hearts that He is faithful, our Abba, our redeemer, then it is a little like a baby calling me his mother, even though I'm not. The name is meaningless.

If you are going to proclaim that Jesus is your King, realize that He then IS your King. I often forget this.

I guess it took a baby to remind me!

No comments: